Time to get to know, Leah



Could you start by telling us a bit about yourself?

Hi, I am Leah, mum to two little girls, Evie (3) and Astrid (11 months) and wife to Ryan. I am predominantly a stay-at-home mum and sometimes writer and stylist. I love spending time with my family and friends, watching my kids grow into funny little people and of course fashion. In my down time (between 7.30-10pm at night!), I enjoy unwinding with a cuppa and tim tam, checking out some of my favourite blogs and flipping through new and old fashion mags (If you are looking for a copy of Vogue circa 2002, there’s a good chance I’d have it).

Can you tell us about your blog ‘Stylish Mumma’ and what inspired you to start it?

When I fell pregnant with Astrid, I started to spend a lot of time Googling pregnancy style and looking for blogs that were a bit more focused towards ‘mum style’ but still very on-trend, just practical to a mum’s lifestyle. I struggled to find what I was looking for and at around 2am after getting up to settle Evie, Stylish Mumma was born. Stylish Mumma aims to be an online destination for fashion inspiration and styling advice that embraces trend driven looks and adapts them to suit the lifestyle of mothers.

How have you developed your style?

I think my style is constantly evolving and changes with each phase in my life. Over the years I have learnt some pieces are worth investing in, whilst some things aren’t. I am very inspired by images from street style photographers and stick to my “do I have three things this would go with” rule of thumb when making new purchases (especially of the investment variety). Having kids means more off-duty dressing, however, it also has enabled me to be more creative when it comes to adapting trends to suit my lifestyle. At the moment I would say my style is relaxed with a touch of luxe, layers and a nod towards current trends.

Do you have any fashion rules when putting an outfit together?

Not really, I see getting dressed in the morning as a form of creative expression, sometimes what I wear can be a dictator of my mood, or what sort of day I expect to have. I think the best thing to remember is whilst something may look great on a 6 foot runway model, it may not translate the same way on us mere mortals. So work out what your assets are, what you’d rather not flaunt and dress accordingly. Fashion is about having fun, which is what I remind my husband when he gives me that ‘you’re wearing that look’.

You have a knack for finding  affordable yet fashionable pieces; what should women look for to get the most out of their budget?

I find stocking up on basics from stores that offer deals when you buy two or more can be quite cost effective. White, grey, black, navy and stripe tees/tanks are great non expensive items that you don’t need to spend a lot of money on. Same goes for denim, it’s more about finding the right wash and right fit, if something is ill fitting, it doesn’t matter how expensive it is, it won’t look good. Accessories is another great way to add pizazz to an outfit without spending too much, a beautiful scarf or some stacked rings and layered necklaces can totally chance the look of an otherwise rather mundane outfit. I do spend more money on investment pieces and definitely have my go-to brands. A good quality blazer, silk shirt, high-end shoes, or that on-of-a-kind, will wear forever statement piece is definitely worth the investment. It is also worth signing up for store VIP cards and customer loyalty programs, as you will get special deals and incentives, plus be in the know with any upcoming sales and promotions.

If you could give our readers one bit of fashion advice what would it be? (Leah’s words of wisdom)

If you don’t feel comfortable and confident in what you are wearing, change your outfit until you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment