GUEST EDIT: Style Challenge With Kim-Marie

Oh, I do love a Style Challenge!  Katies asked me to put together an outfit under $150 from the latest in store summer range.  I decided to challenge myself further and style the outfit for weekend casual style and a night out.





































I selected a classic summer outfit, with mix and match pieces to work back with my existing wardrobe.  Three key pieces for the summer season are the white jacket, the drape back top and the printed soft pant.


My go to pieces were the Katies Waterfall Linen Jacket, the Two Layer Tank and Pebble Print Soft Pant.  I just sneaked in under my $150 budget.

Katies Summer Outfit under $150 | styled for casual


I teamed my printed pants, tank and linen jacket with a simple pair of white leather flats, and played up the citrus tones with some brightly coloured chunky resin jewellery.



For a more relaxed look, I wore the waist band low on my hips and pulled the cuffs higher to allow the soft fabric to drape around my ankles.



I felt smartly dressed, yet really comfortable.  This outfit would be perfect to take on a holiday - each of the pieces works beautifully together, as well as with wardrobe staples like a denim skirt, jeans, shorts, a simple tunic dress ... and the like!



Katies Summer Outfit under $150 | styled for a night out


For the next stage of my challenge, I styled the outfit for an evening out.  I switched the brightly coloured resin beads and bangles for pretty pastel jewel and pearl studded bangles and a statement semiprecious stone necklace.

I kicked off my flat sandals and exchanged them for a bold statement peeptoe heel, with a coordinating clutch.



For a more streamlined evening look, I've pulled the waistband higher, so it sits on my natural waistline.  The elasticated waistband makes this easy peasy lemon squeezy.  The detailed cuffs are then perfectly placed to show off my statement heels.



The oh so pretty back of the Two Layer Tank drapes beautifully.  The white layer looks elegant peeking out below the cropped jacket.

I'm rather a fan of the print clash, but it isn't for everyone.  It works in this outfit as the colour palette is similar, with tones of white and peach.  By matching my clutch and heels, it takes the focus away from the print clash in the evening outfit.

If you'd like to try a print clash, start off with a simple combination, like a Breton stripe teamed with florals.  You could also try a Breton stripe teamed with polkadots, leopard or paisley prints.  Once you've mastered that, the print clash will be your go to get fabulous look.  Fashion is fun, so why  not give it a go!

Katies Summer Outfit under $150 | mix and match




I've put together a really simple guide to showing you how these three key pieces can work back with the rest of your wardrobe.


- Team the jacket and tank with skirts - like a maxi skirt, full skirt, cargo skirt, denim skirt

- Team the jacket and tank with pants - like skinny jeans, shorts, classic trousers, palazzo pants

- Team the jacket and pants with tops - like block coloured tops, patterned tops, tunics, fitted tanks

- Team the jacket with dresses - like shift dresses, maxi dresses, fit and flare dresses, tank dresses,         tunic dresses.  Fab with jumpsuits and short playsuits too.

Do you love a print clash?  What's your favourite key piece of the season?

No comments:

Post a Comment